The problem with healthcare services in the Pasadena area is not one of availability, but of affordability and accessibility. One of the greatest obstacles to good health is poverty. In the Pasadena community, about one-third of the children are in need of the kind of care Young & Healthy provides. The majority of children under age 18 and enrolled in Pasadena Unified Schools live in areas of town that claim the lowest per capita income and the greatest concentration of poverty.
Young & Healthy, a Pasadena-based 501(c)(3), is an organization whose foundation was built upon the dedication and commitment of its volunteers. We began in 1990 as a small group of 19 physicians who agreed to donate their time and services to Pasadena area children who lacked access to medical and dental care. Young & Healthy is now sustained by the generosity of a volunteer workforce of more than 350 healthcare professionals, over 460 community volunteers and an extensive network of community partners.
Through prevention, education, family support, and access to healthcare services, Young & Healthy protects and improves the physical and mental health of uninsured and underinsured children and their families in the greater Pasadena area.
Vision: We envision a future in which all children in our community have a "village" that cares about them and an equal opportunity for a healthy life.
- We believe it is the right of every child to have access to quality healthcare.
- We believe in the connection between mental health and physical health.
- We believe that by investing in the health of underserved youth, we can create a more equitable society.
- We believe community needs change over time and that we are in a position to respond.
- We believe in collaboration, working together with other community institutions and volunteers to make a difference in children's lives.
- We believe in treating everyone with respect and serving with integrity.
Poverty and hence, healthcare, are a constant challenge for 60% of the children in our local public schools. Young & Healthy facilitates the delivery of donated medical, dental, mental health and other healthcare services, free-of-charge, to underserved low-income children, ranging in age from infancy to 18 years, throughout the greater Pasadena area. Young & Healthy also assists adults with insurance enrollment, healthcare system navigation and education. If a person does not qualify for one of our own programs, we will research the situation and refer to a community partner who can help.