Thank you for joining Young & Healthy in embracing the demands of the children in our community who need healthcare, whether that be medical, dental or mental healthcare, insurance support, education or simply coordination of care. The complexity of services that Young & Healthy provides is clearly evident in Marcus’ story.
We came to know sixteen-year-old Marcus when his paternal grandmother, Sonia, contacted Young & Healthy for some guidance, shortly after being granted partial custody of Marcus. Marcus’ often homeless father and hospitalized mother were incapable of taking care of him any longer. Sonia is legally able to make education and healthcare decisions for Marcus, but is not able to afford private healthcare for him. She had no idea that she could obtain Medi-Cal insurance for Marcus. Our case management staff happily educated and assisted Sonia with the process for obtaining Medi-Cal for Marcus, but much more was needed in the meantime. As anyone might imagine, Marcus is emotionally fragile and deeply traumatized in thinking that nobody wants him. Young & Healthy set Marcus up with weekly counseling sessions to help him cope with this unfortunate situation. Marcus has also seen one of our volunteer dermatologists for some necessary care. Young & Healthy has brought to light some resiliency and hope for Sonia and Marcus. A simple smile on Marcus’ face is the evidence.
Today we are writing to ask you for your continued support of our important work in the community. Our efforts have proven to be successful and through the generous funding of our Annual Appeal, Young & Healthy plans to continue to assist many more children in need.
Your dollars make a real, lasting impact in the lives of those who need it the most.
We hope that you will join us in embracing care for the whole child and in continuing to provide for the underserved in order to strengthen our community overall. Can we count on YOU to help make a difference in the life of a child?
Make A Donation
Thank you for your generosity,
Young & Healthy Job Opportunity
Case Management Position – Part-Time (20 hours)
Young & Healthy is looking for a part-time case manager to join our team who is detail oriented, highly motivated and bilingual in English and Spanish.
What you will be working on:
• Coordinating appointments and services for children in need of medical, dental or mental health services with one of Young & Healthy’s professional volunteer.
• Promoting and registering clients in the annual mobile dental clinic.
• Maintaining relationships and providing updates with school nurses, health clerks and other partners who refer clients to Young & Healthy.
• Assisting children and families with using and understanding their health insurance benefits, including completing paperwork, scheduling appointments and providing one on one education.
• Working collaboratively and innovatively with the referral team to ensure that Young & Healthy increases the number of clients served.
What you will bring:
• Experience working with children and families to make referrals and navigate complex systems.
• Ability to speak, read and write in English and Spanish.
• Strong and positive interpersonal skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills and adapt to change.
• Experience working with Microsoft office and Client Databases.
What you will get:
• A chance to join a close knit team of people who are committed to the mission and believe in supporting employees’ professional growth.
• Paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
• Full medical, dental and vision benefits. This is a part-time, non-exempt, permanent position.
Submit resume and cover letter to HR Department via Email: email@example.com No phone calls please. Closing date to apply is November 22, 2019. www.yhpasadena.org
Episode 61: Creating Trauma-Informed Communities w/ Mary Donnelly-Crocker
Podcasters: Mary Donnelly-Crocker, Matthew Bennett, and Jerry Yager
Mary Donnelly-Crocker joins Matt and Jerry to discuss her effort to turn Pasadena into a trauma-informed community. Learn how Mary and her organization, Young and Healthy are working to get information about trauma spread throughout the community. Mary demonstrates the power one person has to change the world!
You can find the Trauma-Informed Lens podcast on iTunes and most other podcasting apps. You can download the audio version or stream the video version on our website at traumainformedlens.org.
Young & Healthy was again proud to bring the USC Mobile Dental Clinic to Pasadena this year. Between February 23 and March 2, dozens of kids between the ages of 6-18, with NO dental insurance, having cavities and who were income eligible and living in Altadena, Pasadena, Sierra Madre or South Pasadena were each seen for several appointments during the week of the clinic. All of the dental services were administered for FREE!
The Young & Healthy Alliance and Kids Alliance participated in the clinic by preparing and serving a brown bag lunch on Saturday for all patients and their families and all of the dentists providing care that day. It was a true community event!! We thank everyone who was involved for making the clinic so successful.