Without doubt, this has been a challenging year for everyone. However, Young & Healthy remains guided by our mission and committed to the underserved children of the Pasadena area who need healthcare and other related services to thrive. In this turbulent climate, we have creatively pivoted to provide for these children and their families.
We are very grateful for your past support and partnership. While the pandemic has greatly changed our lives, it hasn’t changed our need to support families. Your gift is an important part of providing support and hope to the families we serve.
Every gift can make a difference and is greatly appreciated. You can make an immediate impact on the families we serve in our community. We thank you for providing tangible support, hope, care and comfort during this time of community need.
Be Well and Stay Well,
Sandy Roberts, Board President
Mary Donnelly-Crocker, Executive Director
Our physical office is closed, but our staff is still ready to serve.
Here are a few ways we have adjusted our work to meet the moment.
• Access to Care: Staff continues to provide case management virtually. Messages are retrieved hourly and client communication continues via email.
• Insurance Support: Our Family Advocate is working with clients over the phone to complete insurance applications and navigate the insurance system. Team members are cross-training in insurance advocacy for the anticipated influx of cases that may arise due to people’s loss of jobs and insurance.
• Our team is proactively reaching out to existing clients to assure them that we remain available to help. Those needing non-urgent healthcare services (eye glasses, dental care, etc.) will be scheduled once provider offices reopen.
Mental Health: Parent Education & Mindfulness
• Our Program Coordinator will lead weekly digital workshops for PUSD parents.
• We are engaging families via social media with two campaigns to address children’s emotional needs during this pandemic:
1. Family Fridays – Parents receive ideas and tips for making the most of quarantine weekends with their families.
2. Mindful Mondays – Our Mindfulness Educator shares videos to help start each week on a peaceful note.
• We continue to send our monthly Resilience Pasadena newsletter, which includes updates on community happenings and real-life examples of resiliency.
• We are collaborating with PUSD and other community agencies at food distribution sites, in order to spread the word that Young & Healthy remains available to those in need of healthcare services.
• Toothbrushes have been procured and will be sent home with a Young & Healthy flyer to 3,000 families via the PUSD food distribution sites.
• In canceling our May fundraising event, we have requested that our guests remain safely at home, while also giving generously to ensure that children and families in the Pasadena area will continue to have access to the needed healthcare services that Young & Healthy delivers.
• Communication with foundations and donors has increased. We are responding daily to evolving changes in the grant making world.
Young & Healthy Infrastructure
• Webinars continue to further educate staff regarding human resource management, fiscal management and fundraising during this pandemic.
• An application has been submitted for a Small Business Loan through the Paycheck Protection Program.
• Garnered donations of masks and gloves from shuttered medical and dental offices and other sources are being donated to both Huntington Hospital and PUSD for their food service staff.
• We have assisted in garnering donations for non-perishable foods and backyard fruits for delivery to the neediest families in PUSD.
• In a think-tank, problem-solving capacity, we remain active with Collaborate Pasadena to keep a pulse on evolving community needs.
• Our traditional National Volunteer Week bundt cake delivery to our professional volunteers has been cancelled. Alternatively, we will send a letter of recognition and appreciation for their dedicated service.
• Staff sent personal thank you notes to all of our professional volunteers to wish them well and to encourage them to take care of themselves during this difficult time.
• Calls have been made to check-in with many of our community volunteers.
626.795.5166 | email@example.com
During this evolving situation, please know that even though our physical “door” is closed, Young & Healthy is still OPEN FOR BUSINESS for our families in need! Please call us at 626-795-5166 for assistance and we will work with you over the phone to obtain necessary services. Or you may email us by going HERE:
National Doctors’ Day is March 30–the perfect time to honor a doctor or health advocate for the work they do for their patients, the communities they work in and for society as a whole.
Dear Friends of Young & Healthy,
Sweet little Camila lives with severe cerebral palsy. Her condition should be quite enough for any six-year-old, but unfortunately her life is even more complicated. Camila and her mother are here in the United States on what is called a V-Visa. This is shorthand for the fact that they are fleeing domestic violence…very sad on so many levels.
In spite of navigating a traumatic life, a new country and a difficult disease, there are some practicalities to be dealt with, such as getting Camila enrolled in school. Young & Healthy is involved because she needed a physical and a dental exam before she could enroll in school. This would have been an easy task if she were a typically developing little girl, but Camila is far from that.
The Young & Healthy team worked to find just the right physician and dentist who could examine this medically fragile young girl. A significant amount of diligent case management eventually resulted in finding care for her. Camila received her necessary examinations and was able to enroll in school. Though Young & Healthy can’t fix everything, we can certainly strive to lighten some of the hardship.
This is why we need your support. Please take a moment today to let your doctor or health advocate know their work is important to you.
Our goal is 30K in 30 days in honor of all the Young & Healthy professional volunteers that care for the children we serve in our community.
Mary Donnelly-Crocker, Executive Director
Young & Healthy
DONATE NOW IN HONOR OF YOUR SPECIAL HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL: https://yhpasadena.org/support-us/donate/?utm_source=website&utm_campaign=Support%20Us&utm_content=Header%20Donate%20Button
Thank you for joining Young & Healthy in embracing the demands of the children in our community who need healthcare, whether that be medical, dental or mental healthcare, insurance support, education or simply coordination of care. The complexity of services that Young & Healthy provides is clearly evident in Marcus’ story.
We came to know sixteen-year-old Marcus when his paternal grandmother, Sonia, contacted Young & Healthy for some guidance, shortly after being granted partial custody of Marcus. Marcus’ often homeless father and hospitalized mother were incapable of taking care of him any longer. Sonia is legally able to make education and healthcare decisions for Marcus, but is not able to afford private healthcare for him. She had no idea that she could obtain Medi-Cal insurance for Marcus. Our case management staff happily educated and assisted Sonia with the process for obtaining Medi-Cal for Marcus, but much more was needed in the meantime. As anyone might imagine, Marcus is emotionally fragile and deeply traumatized in thinking that nobody wants him. Young & Healthy set Marcus up with weekly counseling sessions to help him cope with this unfortunate situation. Marcus has also seen one of our volunteer dermatologists for some necessary care. Young & Healthy has brought to light some resiliency and hope for Sonia and Marcus. A simple smile on Marcus’ face is the evidence.
Today we are writing to ask you for your continued support of our important work in the community. Our efforts have proven to be successful and through the generous funding of our Annual Appeal, Young & Healthy plans to continue to assist many more children in need.
Your dollars make a real, lasting impact in the lives of those who need it the most.
We hope that you will join us in embracing care for the whole child and in continuing to provide for the underserved in order to strengthen our community overall. Can we count on YOU to help make a difference in the life of a child?
Make A Donation
Thank you for your generosity,